- The definition of long suffering is someone who had to endure something unpleasant for a long period of time, but who was patient throughout.
An example of long suffering is a person who had to put up with a long illness but who did so cheerfully.
(comparative more longsuffering, superlative most longsuffering)
- Alternative form of long-suffering.
- Long, patient endurance of insult, abuse or mistreatment; longanimity
(comparative more long-suffering, superlative most long-suffering)
- Having endured mental or physical discomfort for a protracted period of time patiently or without complaint.
- His long-suffering wife may have had to put up with him for many years, but she also benefited when times were good.