- Forbear is defined as to stop yourself from doing something.
An example of forbear is when you stop yourself from eating chocolate.
- to refrain from; avoid or cease (doing, saying, etc.)
- Now Chiefly Dial. to endure; tolerate
Origin: Middle English forberen ; from Old English forberan: see for- and amp; bear
- to refrain or abstain
- to keep oneself in check; control oneself under provocation
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb for·bore , for·borne , for·bear·ing, for·bears verb, transitive
- To refrain from; resist: forbear replying. See Synonyms at refrain1.
- To desist from; cease.
- Obsolete To avoid or shun.
- To hold back; refrain.
- To be tolerant or patient in the face of provocation.
Origin: Middle English forberen, from Old English forberan, to endure; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
- for·bearˈer noun