A woman partakes of a cocktail.
- Partake is defined as to participate or take.
- An example of partake is singing a song while out with friends at a karaoke club.
- An example of partake is having a cocktail while out with friends at a bar.
intransitive verbpartook, partaken, partaking
- to take part (in an activity); participate
- to take a portion or take some; specif., to eat or drink something, esp. in company with others: usually with of
- to have or show a trace (of); have some of the qualities (of)
Origin of partakeback-formation ; from partaker, contr. of part taker, translated, translation of Classical Latin particeps ; from pars, part + capere, to take: see have
verbpar·took , par·tak·en , par·tak·ing, par·takes
- To take or have a part or share; participate: partake in the celebration.
- To take or be given part or portion: The guests partook of a delicious dinner.
- To share some of the properties of something else: “Each tale partakes of its creator's poetic imagination” (Charles Scribner III).
Origin of partakeBack-formation from partaker, one who partakes, from Middle English part-taker (translation of Latin particeps, participant).
(third-person singular simple present partakes, present participle partaking, simple past partook, past participle partaken)
Back-formation from part-taking, a Middle English calque of Latin particeps (“participating").