- The definition of ingest is to consume or absorb food or information.
- When you eat a cookie, this is an example of when you ingest the cookie.
- When you read a book and learn the information, this is an example of when you ingest the information.
A woman about to ingest a pill.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: from Classical Latin ingestus, past participle of ingerere, to carry, put into from in-, into plush gerere, to carry
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb in·gest·ed, in·gest·ing, in·gests
- To take into the body by the mouth for digestion or absorption. See Synonyms at eat.
- To take in and absorb as food: “Marine ciliates … can be observed … ingesting other single-celled creatures and harvesting their chloroplasts” (Carol Kaesuk Yoon).
Origin: Latin ingerere, ingest- : in-, in; see in-2 + gerere, to carry.
- in·gestˈi·ble adjective
- in·gesˈtion noun
- in·gesˈtive adjective