- The definition of ingest is to consume or absorb food or information.
- When you eat a cookie, this is an example of when you ingest the cookie.
- When you read a book and learn the information, this is an example of when you ingest the information.
A woman about to ingest a pill.
Origin of ingest; from Classical Latin ingestus, past participle of ingerere, to carry, put into ; from in-, into + gerere, to carry
transitive verbin·gest·ed, in·gest·ing, in·gests
- To take into the body by the mouth for digestion or absorption. See Synonyms at eat.
- To take in and absorb as food: “Marine ciliates &ellipsis; can be observed &ellipsis; ingesting other single-celled creatures and harvesting their chloroplasts” (Carol Kaesuk Yoon).
Origin of ingestLatin ingerere, ingest- : in-, in; see in–2 + gerere, to carry.
(third-person singular simple present ingests, present participle ingesting, simple past and past participle ingested)
From Latin ingerere (“to carry in”)