- The definition of participate is to take part in an activity.
Agreeing to play softball is an example of partipate.
intransitive verbparticipated, participating
Origin of participate; from Classical Latin participatus, past participle of participare ; from pars, part + capere, to take: see have
intransitive verbpar·tic·i·pat·ed, par·tic·i·pat·ing, par·tic·i·pates
- To be active or involved in something; take part: participated in the festivities.
- To share in something: If only I could participate in your good fortune.
Origin of participateLatin participāre, participāt-, from particeps, particip-, partaker : pars, part-, part; see part + capere, to take; see kap- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present participates, present participle participating, simple past and past participle participated)
- (intransitive) To join in, to take part, to involve oneself (in something). [from 16th c.]
- (obsolete) Acting in common; participating.