This man's oral presentation is not well received.
- The definition of oral is spoken or said, or something which is related to the mouth.
- An example of oral used as an adjective is the phrase oral presentation which means a presentation delivered by speaking.
- An example of oral used as an adjective is the phrase oral disease which means an illness in the mouth.
- Oral is defined as an exam given and taken by speaking.
An example of an oral is a test requiring a student to speak a different language.
- uttered by the mouth; spoken
- of speech; using speech
- of, involving, or administered through the mouth
- of or having to do with sexual stimulation of the genitals by a partner's mouth or tongue
- Phonet. having mouth resonance only
- designating or of the earliest stage of psychosexual development, in which interest centers around sucking, feeding, and biting
- designating or of such traits in the adult as friendliness, generosity, and optimism or aggressiveness and pessimism, regarded as unconscious psychic residues of that stage
- Zool. on or of the same side as the mouth
Origin of oral; from Classical Latin os (gen. oris), the mouth ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ?us-, mouth, edge from source Sanskrit ?-?, mouth, Old Norse ?ss, mouth of a stream
- Spoken rather than written.
- Of or relating to the mouth: oral surgery.
- Used in or taken through the mouth: an oral thermometer; an oral vaccine.
- Consisting of or using speech: oral instruction.
- Linguistics Articulated through the mouth only, with the nasal passages closed.
- Psychology Of or relating to the first stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from birth to about 18 months, during which the mouth is the chief focus of exploration and pleasure. The oral stage is followed by the anal stage.
Origin of oralLate Latin &omacron;ralis, from Latin &omacron;s, &omacron;r-, mouth; see &omacron;s- in Indo-European roots.
- oral availability
- oral exam
- oral sex
- A male given name of American usage, ultimately derived from Aurelius.
oral - Legal Definition