- The definition of oral is spoken or said, or something which is related to the mouth.
- An example of oral used as an adjective is the phrase oral presentation which means a presentation delivered by speaking.
- An example of oral used as an adjective is the phrase oral disease which means an illness in the mouth.
- Oral is defined as an exam given and taken by speaking.
An example of an oral is a test requiring a student to speak a different language.
This man's oral presentation is not well received.
oral definition by Webster's New World
- uttered by the mouth; spoken
- of speech; using speech
- of, involving, or administered through the mouth
- of or having to do with sexual stimulation of the genitals by the mouth or tongue
- Phonet. having mouth resonance only
- designating or of the earliest stage of psychosexual development, in which interest centers around sucking, feeding, and biting
- designating or of such traits in the adult as friendliness, generosity, and optimism or aggressiveness and pessimism, regarded as unconscious psychic residues of that stage
- Zool. on or of the same side as the mouth
Origin: ; from Classical Latin os (gen. oris), the mouth ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ōus-, mouth, edge from source Sanskrit -ḥ, mouth, Old Norse ōss, mouth of a stream
- orally adverb
oral definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Spoken rather than written. See Usage Note at verbal.
- Of or relating to the mouth: oral surgery.
- Used in or taken through the mouth: an oral thermometer; an oral vaccine.
- Consisting of or using speech: oral instruction.
- Linguistics Articulated through the mouth only, with the nasal passages closed.
- Psychology Of or relating to the first stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from birth to about 18 months, during which the mouth is the chief focus of exploration and pleasure. The oral stage is followed by the anal stage.
Origin: Late Latin ōrālis, from Latin ōs, ōr-, mouth; see ōs- in Indo-European roots.
- oˈral·ly adverb
or U·ralsk or U·rals'k
oral - Legal Definition
oral - Medical Definition
- Of or relating to the mouth.
- Used in or taken through the mouth.
- Of or relating to the first stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, in which the mouth is the focus of exploration and pleasure.
- orally adverb
oral - Science Definition