- The definition of menial describes something that doesn't require much skill or thought.
An example of a menial job is cleaning or vacuuming.
- of or fit for servants; lowly; humble: a menial task
- servile; low; mean
Origin: Middle English meynal from Anglo-French meignal from meiniee, a family retainer, servant from Old French meisniee, household from Classical Latin mansio: see mansion
- a domestic servant
- a servile, low person
- menially adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to work or a job regarded as servile.
- Of, relating to, or appropriate for a servant.
- A servant, especially a domestic servant.
- A person who has a servile or low nature.
Origin: Middle English meinial, belonging to a household, from Anglo-Norman meignial, from meignee, household, from Vulgar Latin *mānsiōnāta, from Latin mānsiō, mānsiōn-, house; see mansion.
- meˈni·al·ly adverb