- The definition of a lackey is a person who does your dirty work, or who does whatever you ask.
An example of your lackey is the guy you send to pick up your dry cleaning and take care of silly little tasks you don't feel like handling.
- a male servant of low rank, usually in some sort of livery or uniform
- a follower who carries out another's orders like a servant; toady
Origin of lackeyFrench laquais, a lackey, soldier ; from Catalan alacay ; from Spanish lacayo, lackey, footman ; from Old Spanish alcayaz ; from Arabic alqā'īd: see alcaide
- A liveried male servant; a footman.
- A servile follower; a toady.
verblack·eyed, lack·ey·ing, lack·eys
Origin of lackeyFrench laquais, from Old French.
(third-person singular simple present lackeys, present participle lackeying, simple past and past participle lackeyed)
- To attend, wait upon, serve obsequiously