- The definition of a lackey is a person who does your dirty work, or who does whatever you ask.
An example of your lackey is the guy you send to pick up your dry cleaning and take care of silly little tasks you don't feel like handling.
- a male servant of low rank, usually in some sort of livery or uniform
- a follower who carries out another's orders like a servant; toady
Origin: Fr laquais, a lackey, soldier from Catalan alacay from Spanish lacayo, lackey, footman from Old Spanish alcayaz from Arabic alqā'īd: see alcaide
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. lack·eys
- A liveried male servant; a footman.
- A servile follower; a toady.
Origin: French laquais, from Old French.