- The definition of a maid is a female who is hired to do domestic tasks like cleaning house and cooking, or a young unmarried female.
- A live-in housekeeper who cooks and cleans for you is an example of a maid.
- A young unmarried girl is an example of a maid.
A hotel maid at work.
maid definition by Webster's New World
- Now Chiefly Literary a girl or young unmarried woman
- Obsolete a virgin
- Now Rare old maid
- a girl or woman servant: often in compounds: barmaid, housemaid
Origin: Middle English maide, contr. ; from maiden
maid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An unmarried girl or woman.b. A virgin.
- A woman servant.
- A housemaid or chambermaid.
Origin: Middle English maide, from Old English mǽgden; see maghu- in Indo-European roots.
maid - Computer Definition
(Massive Array of Idle Disks) Active archiving that uses disk drives instead of tape. Most of the drives in a MAID array are idle most of the time, but can be revved up and read faster than searching sequentially through magnetic tape. MAID libraries typically do not use RAID technology because each read and write in most RAID configurations uses several drives. The concept behind MAID is to have an enormous amount of data quickly available at the least cost, and spinning disks require power and generate heat, which requires cooling. Some Active, Some Passive A MAID system may be built with a small ratio of spinning disks that serve as a cache for the non-spinning, passive disks. If a request is not found in the cache, the appropriate passive disks are powered up. See active archiving, WORO and RAID.
maid - Phrases/Idioms