- The definition of length is how long something is, or the amount of vertical space or time it takes up.
- An example of length is two hours for a movie.
- An example of length is 12 inches.
The length of this ruler is twelve inches.
length definition by Webster's New World
- the measure of how long a thing is; measurement of anything from end to end; the greatest of the two or three dimensions of anything
- extent in space; distance anything extends
- extent in time; duration
- a long stretch or extent
- the quality, state, or fact of being long
- a piece of a certain or standardized length: a length of stove pipe
- a unit of measure consisting of the length of an object or animal competing in a race: to win a boat race by two lengths
- the duration of the pronunciation of a vowel: the i in bride has greater length than the i in bright
- popularly the quality of a vowel
- Prosody syllabic quantity
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English lengthu ; from base of lang, long plush -th
length definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state, quality, or fact of being long. See Usage Note at strength.
- The measurement of the extent of something along its greatest dimension: the length of the boat.
- A piece, often of a standard size, that is normally measured along its greatest dimension: a length of cloth.
- A measure used as a unit to estimate distances: won the race by a length.
- Extent or distance from beginning to end: the length of a novel; the length of a journey.
- The amount of time between specified moments; the duration: the length of a meeting.
- Extent or degree to which an action or policy is carried. Often used in the plural: went to great lengths to prove his point.
- Linguistics a. The duration of a vowel.b. The duration of a syllable.
- The vertical extent of a garment. Often used in combination: knee-length; floor-length.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English lengthu; see del-1 in Indo-European roots.
length - Medical Definition
length - Phrases/Idioms
at full length
- after a long time; finally
- in or to the whole extent; in full
- for a long time and in great detail
go to any length
- After some time; eventually: At length we arrived at our destination.
- For a considerable time; fully: spoke at length about the court ruling.