A length of cloth.
The length of the boat.
Won the race by a length.
The length of a novel; the length of a journey.
The length of a meeting.
Went to great lengths to prove his point.
A length of stove pipe.
To win a boat race by two lengths.
An example of length is two hours for a movie.
An example of length is 12 inches.
- After some time; eventually:At length we arrived at our destination.
- For a considerable time; fully:Spoke at length about the court ruling.
- stretched out; completely extended
- after a long time; finally
- to do whatever is necessary; scruple at nothing
Origin of length
- Middle English from Old English lengthu del-1 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- Old English lengÃ¾u