The definition of a jewel is a precious gem, or a valuable person or thing.noun
- An example of a jewel is a diamond.
- An example of a jewel is an employee who always goes above and beyond their job description.
Jewel is defined as to add gems to something.verb
An example of jewel is putting rhinestones on the collar of a jacket.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a valuable ring, pin, necklace, etc., esp. one set with a gem or gems
- a precious stone; gem
- any person or thing that is very precious or valuable
- a small gem or hard, gemlike bit, used as one of the bearings in a watch
Origin: ME < OFr joel < jeu, a game, trifle < L jocus, a trifle, joke
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A precious stone; a gem.b. A small natural or artificial gem used as a bearing in a watch.
- A costly ornament of precious metal or gems.
- One that is treasured or esteemed.
- To adorn with jewels.
- To fit with jewels.
Origin: Middle English juel, from Anglo-Norman, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *iocāle, from neuter of *iocālis, of play, from Latin iocus, joke; see yek- in Indo-European roots.