- The definition of a Jew is a person who belongs to a religion called Judaism and who generally traces his or her ancestry back to the ancient Hebrew people of Israel.
Adam Sandler is an example of a Jew.
jew definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Jew, by associated, association with occupation of Jews as moneylenders in Middle Ages
- a person descended, or regarded as descended, from the ancient Hebrews of Biblical times
- a person whose religion is Judaism
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French Giu, Juiu ; from Classical Latin Judaeus ; from Classical Greek Ioudaios ; from Classical Hebrew (language) yehūdī, member of the tribe or kingdom of Judah: see Judah
jew definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb jewed, jew·ing, jews Offensive
- To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
- To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
Origin: From Jews' supposedly extortionate practices as moneylenders in the Middle Ages.
- An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
- A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
- A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.
Origin: Middle English Jeu, from Old French giu, from Latin Iūdaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Aramaic yəhudāy, from Hebrew yəhûdî, inhabitant of Judah, from yəhûdâ, Judah; see Judah2.Usage Note: It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun.
jew - Phrases/Idioms
jew someone down