- The definition of a masterpiece is the greatest work in the career of an artist or group.
An example of a masterpiece is the statue of David by Michelangelo.
- Masterpiece is defined as a work of great skill.
An example of a masterpiece is a brilliantly written and acted play.
Michelangelo's David is a masterpiece.
masterpiece definition by Webster's New World
- a thing made or done with masterly skill; great work of art or craftsmanship
- the greatest work made or done by a person or group
Origin: calque of German meisterstück
masterpiece definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An outstanding work of art or craft.
- The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork.
- Something superlative of its kind: a masterpiece of political ingenuity.
Origin: Probably translation of Dutch meesterstuk or German Meisterstück : Dutch meester and German Meister, master + Dutch stuk and German Stück, piece of work.