Michelangelo's David is a masterpiece.
- The definition of a masterpiece is the greatest work in the career of an artist or group.
An example of a masterpiece is the statue of David by Michelangelo.
- Masterpiece is defined as a work of great skill.
An example of a masterpiece is a brilliantly written and acted play.
- a thing made or done with masterly skill; great work of art or craftsmanship
- the greatest work made or done by a person or group
Origin of masterpiececalque of German meisterstück
- An outstanding work of art or craft.
- The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork.
- Something superlative of its kind: a masterpiece of political ingenuity.
Origin of masterpieceProbably translation of Dutch meesterstuk or German Meisterst&udie;ck : Dutch meester and German Meister, master + Dutch stuk and German St&udie;ck, piece of work.
- A piece of work that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career.
- A work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship.
- Masterpieces are not completed, they are abandoned.
- A work created in order to qualify as a master craftsman and member of a guild.