A bezel is the cut edges of these gems.
- An example of a bezel is the cut edge of a gemstone.
- An example of a bezel is the rim of a watch.
- a sloping surface, as the cutting edge of a chisel
- the slanting faces of the upper part of a cut gem, esp. a brilliant; also, this part of a gem
- the groove and flange holding a gem, watch crystal, etc. in place
- a rotatable rim on a watch or clock, that can be moved to indicate certain kinds of data: an elapsed-time bezel
Origin of bezelfrom Middle French an unverified form besel (from source French biseau) from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old French biais, bias
- A slanting surface or bevel on the edge of a cutting tool, such as a chisel.
- The upper, faceted portion of a cut gem, above the girdle and below the table.
- a. A groove or flange designed to hold a beveled edge, as of a gem.b. A ring that secures the crystal of a watch or chronometer, often rotatable and marked so as to allow timekeeping functions.
- The frame around a display screen.
Origin of bezelProbably French dialectalFrench biseau from bis two times from Latin; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
- The sloping edge or face on a cutting tool
- The oblique side or face of a cut gem; especially the upper faceted portion of a brilliant (diamond), which projects from its setting
- The rim and flange which encompasses and fastens a jewel or other object, such as the crystal of a watch, in the cavity in which it is set; the collet.
- The panel that covers the front of a computer case, or the panel covering each drive bay that can be removed to install a removable drive that requires external access, such as a CD/DVD-ROM drive, which usually has its own preinstalled bezel.
bezel - Computer Definition
(1) The front cover on the case of a desktop or tower computer. Bezels are typically plastic but are occasionally metal.
(2) The border around the screen of a TV, laptop or monitor. As electronics become more miniaturized, the bezel becomes thinner, and more screen area occupies the same overall frame. The ultimate goal is to have no bezel at all.