- The definition of a bezel is a slanted or sloping surface, or the rim holding a gem or watch crystal.
- An example of a bezel is the cut edge of a gemstone.
- An example of a bezel is the rim of a watch.
- a sloping surface, as the cutting edge of a chisel
- the slanting faces of the upper part of a cut gem, esp. a brilliant; also, this part of a gem
- the groove and flange holding a gem, watch crystal, etc. in place
- a rotatable rim on a watch or clock, that can be moved to indicate certain kinds of data: an elapsed-time bezel
Origin of bezel; from Middle French an unverified form besel (from source French biseau) ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old French biais, bias
- A slanting surface or bevel on the edge of a cutting tool, such as a chisel.
- The upper, faceted portion of a cut gem, above the girdle and below the table.
- a. A groove or flange designed to hold a beveled edge, as of a gem.b. A ring that secures the crystal of a watch or chronometer, often rotatable and marked so as to allow timekeeping functions.
- The frame around a display screen.
Origin of bezelProbably French dialectal; akin to French biseau, from bis, two times, from Latin; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
- The sloping edge or face on a cutting tool
- The oblique side or face of a cut gem; especially the upper faceted portion of a brilliant (diamond), which projects from its setting
- The rim and flange which encompasses and fastens a jewel or other object, such as the crystal of a watch, in the cavity in which it is set; the collet.
- The panel that covers the front of a computer case, or the panel covering each drive bay that can be removed to install a removable drive that requires external access, such as a CD/DVD-ROM drive, which usually has its own preinstalled bezel.
bezel - Computer Definition
The front cover of a desktop or tower computer case. The term also refers to the individual drive bay covers, which are removed to install CD/DVD and other removable drives that require access from the front of the case. A removable drive may have its own custom bezel, otherwise it is mounted flush with the front of the case. See screen bezel.