bevel definition by Webster's New World
- a tool consisting of a rule with a movable arm, used in measuring or marking angles and in fixing surfaces at an anglealso bevel square
- an angle other than a right angle
- sloping part or surface, as the angled edge of plate glass
Origin: probably ; from Old French an unverified form baivel, diminutive ; from baif, gaping: see bay
bevel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The angle or inclination of a line or surface that meets another at any angle but 90°.
- Two rules joined together as adjustable arms used to measure or draw angles of any size or to fix a surface at an angle. Also called bevel square.
Origin: Possibly from Old French *bevel, perhaps from baif, open-mouthed, from baer, to gape, from Vulgar Latin *badāre.