- a person or thing that protracts
- an instrument in the form of a graduated semicircle, used for plotting and measuring angles
- Anat. a muscle that protracts, or extends, a limb
Origin of protractorMedieval Latin
- A semicircular instrument for measuring and constructing angles.
- Anatomy A muscle that extends a limb or other part.
- One who, or that which, protracts, or causes protraction.
- A circular or semicircular tool for drawing or measuring angles.
- (surgery) An instrument formerly used in extracting foreign or offensive matter from a wound.
- (anatomy) A muscle that extends an organ or part; opposed to retractor.
- An adjustable pattern used by tailors.