A heap of garbage.
- The definition of a heap is a pile, mound or a large number of things.
An example of a heap is a pile of garbage laying outside.
- Heap is defined as to make a big pile or to give large amounts of something.
An example of to heap is to make a big stack of clothes.
- a pile, mass, or mound of things jumbled together
- Informal a great number or amount: a heap of toys, heaps of money
- ☆ Slang an automobile, esp. an old, dilapidated one
Origin of heapMiddle English hepe, a troop, heap ; from Old English heap, a troop, band, multitude, akin to German hauf(en), Dutch hoop ; from Indo-European an unverified form keub- ; from base an unverified form keu-, bend, arch from source hop, hive
- to make a heap of; bring together into a pile
- to give or supply in large amounts; load: to heap gifts upon someone
- to fill (a plate, dry measure, etc.) full or to overflowing
- A group of things placed or thrown, one on top of the other: a heap of dirty rags lying in the corner.
- often heaps Informal A great deal; a lot: We have heaps of homework tonight.
- Slang An old or run-down car.
transitive verbheaped, heap·ing, heaps
- To put or throw in a pile: heaped the clothes on the bed.
- To fill completely or to overflowing: heap a plate with vegetables.
- To bestow in abundance or lavishly: heaped praise on the rescuers.
Origin of heapMiddle English, from Old English hēap.
- A crowd; a throng; a multitude or great number of people.
- A pile or mass; a collection of things laid in a body, or thrown together so as to form an elevation.
- a heap of earth or stones
- A great number or large quantity of things.
- (computing) A data structure consisting of trees in which each node is greater than all its children.
(third-person singular simple present heaps, present participle heaping, simple past and past participle heaped)
- To pile in a heap.
- He heaped the laundry upon the bed and began folding.
- To form or round into a heap, as in measuring.
- To supply in great quantity.
- They heaped praise upon their newest hero.
heap - Computer Definition
In programming, it refers to a common pool of memory that is available to the program. The management of the heap is either done by the applications themselves, allocating and deallocating memory as required, or by the operating system or other system program.