The definition of a handful is defined as a small amount or the amount of something that would fit in your hand.noun
- An example of a handful is the number of people in the audience for the local music show.
- An example of a handful is the amount of peanuts that fit in your hand when you reach into a bowl.
Handful is defined as much as you can handle of something.noun
An example of a handful is a small child who is overactive.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. handfuls
- as much or as many as the hand will hold
- a relatively small number or amount: a mere handful of people
- Informal as much as one is able to manage; someone or something hard to manage
Origin: ME < OE handfull
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. hand·fuls
- The amount that a hand can hold.
- A small, undefined number or quantity: only a handful of people on the street.
- Informal One that is difficult to control or handle: The hyperactive toddler is a real handful.