- The definition of a smattering is a small amount of something or a superficial knowledge of something.
- When you know only a handful of French words here and there, this is when you know a smattering of French.
- When there are a few limited people in an audience applauding but most people are quiet, this is an example of a smattering of applause.
- slight or superficial knowledge
- a small number
Origin of smatteringsmatter + -ing
- A superficial knowledge of something, especially a language: I picked up a smattering of German while on vacation in Germany.
- A small, scattered amount or number: a smattering of raindrops.
(countable and uncountable, plural smatterings)
- Present participle of smatter.