- The definition of a smattering is a small amount of something or a superficial knowledge of something.
- When you know only a handful of French words here and there, this is when you know a smattering of French.
- When there are a few limited people in an audience applauding but most people are quiet, this is an example of a smattering of applause.
smattering definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- slight or superficial knowledge
- a small number
Origin: smatter plush -ing
smattering definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Superficial or piecemeal knowledge: “a smattering of everything, and a knowledge of nothing” (Charles Dickens).
- A small, scattered amount or number: a smattering of raindrops.