- The definition of freight is cargo or goods transported by truck or other means of transportation, or the amount you are charged to transport goods.
An example of freight is raw lumber that is transported from loggers to a furniture factory.
The freight being cared by this truck is logs.
freight definition by Webster's New World
- a method or service for transporting goods, esp. bulky goods, by water, land, or air: freight is usually cheaper but slower than express
- the cost for such transportation
- the goods transported; lading; cargo
- ☆ freight train
- any load or burden
Origin: Middle English freit, fraught ; from Middle Dutch vracht: see fraught
- to load with freight
- to load; burden
- to transport as or send by freight
freight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Goods carried by a vessel or vehicle, especially by a commercial carrier; cargo.
- A burden; a load.
- a. Commercial transportation of goods.b. The charge for transporting goods. Also called freightage.
- A railway train carrying goods only.
- To convey commercially as cargo.
- To load with goods to be transported.
Origin: Middle English fraught, freight, from Middle Dutch or Middle Low German vracht, vrecht; see aik- in Indo-European roots.