An example of democrat is President Barack Obama.
- a person who believes in and upholds government by the people; advocate of rule by the majority
- a person who believes in and practices the principle of equality of rights, opportunity, and treatment
- [D-] a member of the Democratic Party
Origin of democratFrench démocrate from démocratie: see democracy
- a. An advocate of democracy.b. One who believes in social equality or discounts distinctions in rank.
- Democrat A member of the Democratic Party.
Origin of democratFrench démocrate back-formation from démocratie democracy ; see democracy .
From French démocrate, from démocratie (modelled on aristocrate (“aristocrat”)).
- (politics) A member or supporter of the Democratic Party in the United States.
- (politics) A member or supporter of the Australian Democrats, a liberal political party.
- (politics) Of or belonging to the Democratic Party in the United States.