demos definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the people or commonalty of an ancient Greek state
- the common people; the people; the masses
Origin: Classical Greek dēmos: see democracy
demos definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The common people; the populace.
- The common people of an ancient Greek state.
Origin: Greek dēmos, district, people; see dā- in Indo-European roots.
Variant of demo
noun pl. demos
- a phonograph or tape recording made to demonstrate the talent of a performer, quality of a song, etc.
- demonstration (sense )
- Chiefly Brit. demonstration (sense )
- ☆ demonstrator (sense )