- the people or commonalty of an ancient Greek state
- the common people; the people; the masses
Origin of demosClassical Greek d?mos: see democracy
- The common people; the populace.
- The common people of an ancient Greek state.
Origin of demosGreek dēmos, district, people; see dā- in Indo-European roots.
- Plural of demo.
Abbreviated form of demonstration.
- (political science) The common populace of a state, the people.
- (modern Greece) municipality, an administrative area covering a city or several villages together
- (historical, Ancient Greece) the ordinary citizens of an ancient Greek city-state
- (historical, Ancient Greece) the term for an ancient subdivision of Attica
From Ancient Greek δῆμος (demos, “the people”).