Variant of comedy
noun pl. comedies
- Obsolete a drama or narrative with a happy ending or nontragic theme: Dante's Divine Comedy
- any of various types of play or film with a more or less humorous treatment of characters and situation and a happy ending
- such plays collectively
- the branch of drama having to do with such plays
- the writing, acting, or theoretical principles of this kind of drama
- a novel or any narrative having a comic theme, tone, etc.
- the comic element in a literary work, or in life
- an amusing or comic event or sequence of events
Origin: ME & OFr comedie < L comoedia < Gr kōmōidia < kōmos, revel, carousal + aeidein, to sing: see ode
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.