- Now Chiefly Dial.
- a piece of cloth or leather for patching
- any piece of cloth, esp. one for cleaning; rag
- a blow, with or as with the hand; rap
- a hard hit, as in baseball
- power or influence; esp., political power
- Archery a form of long-distance shooting in which archers aim at a large target laid out on the ground with a flag in the center
Origin of cloutMiddle English cloute from Old English clut (akin to Middle Low German kl?t, clod of earth), origin, originally , lump of something, hence, piece of cloth, patch: for Indo-European base see climb
- Now Chiefly Dial. to patch or mend coarsely
- Informal to strike, as with the hand
- Informal to hit (a ball) hard
Origin of cloutME clutien < the n.