- The chairman is defined as the president, the person in charge or the person who presides over a meeting, company or department.
The person in charge of heading up the history department in a college is an example of the chairman of the history department.
- a person who presides at a meeting or heads a committee, board, etc.
- a man whose work is to carry or wheel people in a chair
- The presiding officer of an assembly, meeting, committee, or board.
- The administrative head of a department of instruction, as at a college.
transitive verbchair·manned, chair·man·ning, chair·mans
Historically meant a man, now often used to refer to chairwomen as well.
chairman - Investment & Finance Definition
Short for chairman of the board, this is the highest-ranking corporate officer. The chairman presides over board meetings. Often one person may hold the positions of chairman and chief executive officer. Depending on the personality and clout of the chairman, the chairman may have a lot of power and authority or may take a distant back-seat to the chief executive officer of the company. A chairman may be more of an honorary position for a long-term employee or another prominent person, large shareholder, or a member of the founding family.