- The definition of a chisel is a hand tool with a wedge shaped blade that is driven with a mallet or hammer.
The tool used for making details in wood, stone or metal is an example of a chisel.
- Chisel means to shape or cut a hard material using a hand tool called a chisel.
Sculpting detail work from stone using a chisel is an example of to chisel.
A set of woodworking chisels.
Origin of chiselNorman French (OFr cisel) ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form cisellum, for Classical Latin an unverified form caesellum ; from caesus, past participle of caedere, to cut: see -cide
verbchis·eled, chis·el·ing, chis·els or chis·elled or chis·el·ling
- To shape or cut with a chisel.
- Informal a. To cheat or swindle.b. To obtain by deception.
- To use a chisel.
- Informal a. To use unethical methods; cheat: “who's up, who's down and who's chiseling on the side” (James Reston).b. To intrude oneself without welcome: always tries to chisel in on our conversations.
Origin of chiselMiddle English, from Old French cisiel, from Vulgar Latin *cīsellus, cutting tool, from diminutive of Latin caesus, past participle of caedere, to cut; see ka&schwa;-id- in Indo-European roots.
left: cold metal chisel with a flat head
top to bottom: cape, round-nose, and diamond-point metal chisel heads
- A cutting tool consisting of a slim oblong block of metal with a sharp wedge or bevel formed on one end. It may be provided with a handle at the other end. It is used to remove parts of stone, wood or metal by placing the sharp edge against the material to be cut and pushing or pounding the other end with a hammer, or mallet.
(third-person singular simple present chisels, present participle chiseling or chiselling, simple past and past participle chiseled or chiselled)
- (intransitive) To use a chisel.
- To work something with a chisel.
- She chiselled a sculpture out of the block of wood.
- (intransitive, informal) To cheat, to get something by cheating.
chiselling and chiselled are more common in the UK while chiseling and chiseled are more common in the US.