- the art of carving wood, chiseling stone, casting or welding metal, molding clay or wax, etc. into three-dimensional representations, as statues, figures, forms, etc.
- any work of sculpture, or such works collectively
Origin of sculptureMiddle English from Classical Latin sculptura from sculptus, past participle of sculpere: see sculptor
transitive verb-·tured, -·tur·ing
- to cut, carve, chisel, cast, weld, mold, etc. into statues, figures, etc.
- to represent or portray by means of sculpture
- to make or form as or like sculpture
- to decorate with sculpture
- to change in form by erosion: rock sculptured by a river