- The definition of a frieze is an ornamental band of decoration, or a heavy wool cloth that is shaggy and has an uncut nap.
- An example of a frieze is a horizontal band of sculpture.
- An example of a frieze is a dense shaggy carpet.
A frieze on a Greek sarcaphogus.
- a decoration or series of decorations forming an ornamental band around a room, mantel, etc.
- Archit. a horizontal band, often decorated with sculpture, between the architrave and cornice of a building
Origin of friezeFrench frise ; from Medieval Latin frisium ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Frankish an unverified form frisi, a curl, akin to Old English fris, crisped, curled; uncertain or unknown; perhaps confused in folk-etym. by associated, association with Medieval Latin frigium ; from Classical Latin Phrygium, Phrygian: Phrygia was noted for embroidery in gold
Origin of friezeMiddle English frise ; from Old French ; from Middle Dutch probably akin to frieze
- A plain or decorated horizontal part of an entablature between the architrave and cornice.
- A decorative horizontal band, as along the upper part of a wall in a room.
Origin of friezeFrench frise, from Medieval Latin frisium, frigium, embroidery, from Latin Phrygium (opus), Phrygian (work), from Phrygia.
Ionic order entablature
- A coarse, shaggy woolen cloth with an uncut nap.
- A dense, low-pile surface, as in carpeting, resembling such cloth. In both senses also called frisé.
Origin of friezeMiddle English frise, from Old French, from Medieval Latin (pannī) frīsiī, woolen (garments), from pl. of Frīsius, Frisian.
- A kind of coarse woolen cloth or stuff with a shaggy or tufted (friezed) nap on one side.
(third-person singular simple present friezes, present participle friezing, simple past and past participle friezed)
- To make a nap on (cloth); to friz.
- (architecture) That part of the entablature of an order which is between the architrave and cornice. It is a flat member or face, either uniform or broken by triglyphs, and often enriched with figures and other ornaments of sculpture.
- Any sculptured or richly ornamented band in a building or, by extension, in rich pieces of furniture.
- A banner with a series of pictures.
- The classroom had an alphabet frieze that showed an animal for each letter.