- The definition of a bilk is a person who cheats or swindles, or an act of cheating or swindling.
An example of a bilk is a person who never pays in his share when going out to eat.
- Bilk is defined as to swindle or get out of paying.
An example of bilk is to slip away without paying the check.
- to balk or thwart
- to cheat or swindle; defraud
- to get away without paying (a debt, etc.)
- to manage to get away from; elude: to bilk the police
Origin: uncertain or unknown; perhaps altered ; from balk
- a bilking or being bilked; hoax
- a person who cheats; swindler
- bilker noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb bilked, bilk·ing, bilks
- a. To defraud, cheat, or swindle: made millions bilking wealthy clients on art sales.b. To evade payment of: bilk one's debts.
- To thwart or frustrate: “Fate . . . may be to a certain extent bilked” (Thomas Carlyle).
- To elude.
- One who cheats.
- Obsolete A hoax or swindle.
Origin: Perhaps alteration of balk.
- bilkˈer noun