- to carry from one place to another, esp. over long distances
- to carry away with emotion; enrapture; entrance
- to carry off to a penal colony, etc.; banish; deport
Origin of transportMiddle English transporten from Middle French transporter from Classical Latin transportare, to carry across from trans-, over, across + portare, to carry: see port
- the act, process, or means of transporting; transportation; conveyance
- strong emotion, esp. of delight or joy; rapture
- a ship, airplane, train, etc. used to transport soldiers, freight, etc.
- a convict sentenced to transportation