- [usually pl.] the space surrounding or seeming to overarch the earth, in which the sun, moon, and stars appear; sky; firmament: in pl., used with the
- the abode of God, his angels, and the blessed
- the powers of heaven; also, God: Heaven help you!
- [oftenH-] a state or place of complete happiness or perfect rest, attained by the good after death
- any place of great beauty and pleasure
- a state of great happiness
Origin of heavenMiddle English heven from Old English heofon from Indo-European base an unverified form ?em-, to cover (from source Late Latin camisia, shirt): akin to Old High German himil and to Old Saxon hevan, ON, himinn (dat. hifne), with -fn, -v-n from -mn by dissimilation
move heaven and earth