Her purpose in coming here is to talk to you. The purpose of an airliner is to transport people.
He was a man of purpose.
An example of purpose is people meeting to discuss how to cut costs within a company.
An example of purpose is someone deciding they will start saving 10% of their income.
The purpose of turning off the lights overnight is to save energy.
- Intentionally; deliberately.
- With good results.
- With few or no results.
- with a specific end in view
- not accidentally; by design
- by design; intentionally
- with a good result or effect; advantageously
- with little (or no) result or effect; pointlessly
- relevant; pertinent
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of purpose
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English purposen, from Old French purposer (“to propose")