- a mass of things heaped together; heap
- a heap of wood or other combustible material on which a corpse or sacrifice is burned
- a large building or group of buildings
- a large amount or number
- a lot of money; fortune
- Elec. a voltaic pile or any other similar device that produces an electric current; battery
- nuclear reactor
Origin of pileMiddle English from Middle French from Classical Latin pila, pillar
transitive verbpiled, pil′ing
- to put or set in a pile; heap up
- to cover with a pile; load
- to accumulate
- to crash, wreck, etc.
- to form a pile or heap
- to move in a mass; crowd: with in, into, out, on, off, etc.
- to crash (into)