- an establishment for receiving, keeping, lending, or, sometimes, issuing money, and making easier the exchange of funds by checks, notes, etc.
- the office or building of such an establishment
- savings bank (sense )
- the fund put up by the dealer in baccarat, out of which losses are paid
- the entire monetary pool of a gambling establishment
- a common fund of chips, pieces, etc. used in playing a game, as poker or dominoes
- a reserve of things for later distribution or use, or a place for this; specif.,
- a store of blood for transfusions, body organs for transplantation, etc.
- a store or a device for keeping retrievable data: a memory bank
Origin of bankMiddle English banke from Middle French banque from OIt banca, origin, originally , table, moneylenders' exchange table from Old High German bank, bench: see bank
- to deposit money in or do business with a bank
- to operate or manage a bank
- to be in charge of the bank, as in some gambling games