- not yielding easily under pressure; solid; hard
- not moved or shaken easily; fixed; stable
- continued steadily; remaining the same: a firm friendship
- unchanging; resolute; constant: firm faith
- showing determination, strength, etc.: a firm command
- legally or formally concluded; definite; final: a firm contract, a firm order
- Commerce not rising or falling very much; steady: said of prices, etc.
Origin of firmMiddle English ferm from Old French from Classical Latin firmus from Indo-European base an unverified form dher-, to hold, support from source Sanskrit dhárma, precept, law, Classical Greek thronos, armchair