An example of division is when you break up a set of bookends into two pieces.
An example of division is when people within a political party disagree about the passage of a bill.
The division of his property among his heirs.
- A particular section of a country, state, etc. divided off as for administration.
- A particular department of a government, business, school, or other organization.
- A particular rank or kind, as of students or athletes, based on achievement, age, sex, etc.
- A segment, as of the body.
- An army unit larger than a regiment and smaller than a corps, to which various numbers and types of battalions can be attached as required.
- A tactical subdivision of a naval squadron.
- An air force unit of two or more combat wings.
I've got ten divisions to do for my homework.
Origin of division
- Middle English divisioun from Old French division from Latin dīvīsiō dīvīsiōn- from dīvīsus past participle of dīvidere to divide divide
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition