- Obs. a breaking or being broken
- a failure to observe the terms, as of a law or promise, the customary forms, etc.; violation; infraction
- an opening made by a breakthrough, as in a wall, line of defense, etc.
- a broken or torn place or part
- a breaking of waves over or upon a ship, sea wall, etc.
- a whale's leap clear of the water
- a break in friendly relations
Origin of breachMiddle English breche from Old English bryce from brecan (see break); influenced, influence by Old French breche from Old High German brecha, of same origin, originally
- to make a breach in; break open or through
- to break or violate (a contract, covenant, etc.)