A person looking wan.
- An example of wan is a person with a cold who looks tired and sick.
- An example of wan is the light from the sun at the end of the day just before sunset.
- sickly pale; pallid: a wan complexion
- faint or weak in a way suggestive of sickness or great weariness, sadness, etc.: a wan smile
- pale, dim, faint, etc.: a wan light
Origin of wanMiddle English ; from Old English wann, dark
- Unnaturally pale, as from physical or emotional distress.
- Suggestive or indicative of weariness, illness, or unhappiness; melancholy: a wan expression.
intransitive verbwanned, wan·ning, wans
Origin of wanMiddle English, pale, gloomy, from Old English wann, gloomy, dark.
Origin of WANw(ide) a(rea) n(etwork).
(comparative wanner, superlative wannest)
- The quality of being wan; wanness.
From Middle English, from Old English Æ¿ann (“dark, dusky"), from Proto-Germanic *wannaz (“dark, swart"), of uncertain origin. Cognate with Old Frisian wann, wonn (“dark").
- (obsolete) Simple past tense and past participle of win.
From Middle English wan-, from Old English wan- (prefix expressing privation or negation), from Proto-Germanic *wanaz (“lacking, missing, deficient”), from Proto-Indo-European *(e)wAn-, *wān- (“empty”). Cognate with Dutch wan-, German Wahn-, Danish, Swedish and Icelandic van-, Gothic (wans, “lacking, deficient”). More at want.
wan - Computer Definition
(Wide Area Network) A long-distance communications network that covers a wide geographic area, such as a state or country. The telephone companies and cellular carriers deploy WANs to service large regional areas or the entire nation. Large enterprises have their own private WANs to link remote offices, or they use the Internet for connectivity. Of course, the Internet is the world's largest WAN. WANs, LANs and MANs A LAN (local area network) is contained within a building or complex. A MAN (metropolitan area network) generally covers a city or suburb. Following is a bandwidth comparison between major LAN and WAN technologies. See LAN, MAN and personal area network.