tumultuous[to̵̅o̅ mul′c̸ho̵̅o̅ əs, tyo̵̅o̅-, tə-; -mul′tyo̵̅o̅ əs]
- The definition of tumultuous is having great disturbance, uproar, chaos or noise.
An example of tumultuous is a riot that gets very out of hand.
- full of or characterized by tumult; wild and noisy; uproarious
- making a tumult
- greatly agitated
Origin of tumultuousMiddle French ; from Classical Latin tumultuosus
- Very loud; noisy: tumultuous applause.
- Characterized by disorderly commotion: the tumultuous years of the 1960s.
- Characterized by mental or emotional agitation: a tumultuous love affair.