- that sweeps; cleansing or carrying away with or as with a broom
- reaching in a long curve or line
- extending over the whole range or a great space
- extensive; comprehensive; thoroughgoing
- complete; decisive
- indiscriminate: a sweeping generalization
- things swept up, as dirt, particles, etc. swept from a floor
- the act, work, etc. of a person or thing that sweeps
See sweeping in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Having wide-ranging influence or effect: sweeping changes.
- Moving in or as if in a wide curve: a sweeping gesture; a sweeping glance.
- Indiscriminate; wholesale: sweeping generalizations.
- Overwhelming; complete: a sweeping victory.
- The action of one that sweeps.
- sweepings Things swept up; refuse.
Learn more about sweeping