any simple but sweeping solution to a complex or virtually insurmountable problem: the legislation was no silver bullet for crime
- An infallible means of attack or defense.
- A simple remedy for a difficult or intractable problem.
Origin of silver bulletFrom the belief that werewolves could be killed with silver bullets.
(plural silver bullets)
- A bullet made of silver, usually with reference to the folkloric belief that such bullets are the only weapons which can kill a werewolf.
- (idiomatic) Any straightforward solution perceived to have great effectiveness or bring miraculous results.
- There is no silver bullet for this problem. It will take hard work and long hours to fix.
- A cocktail somewhat like a martini.