- Swiping is defined as passing across, stealing or wiping with a sweeping motion.
- An example of swiping is putting your credit card through the pay machine at the grocery store.
- An example of swiping is taking the two dollar tip off the bar left by the person ahead of you.
- An example of swiping is lightly running a wet cloth over a child's dirty face.
Variant of swipe
- a lever or handle
- a hard, sweeping blow
- a sweeping motion: give the table a swipe with a rag
- Informal a groom for horses, esp. at a racetrack
Origin: probably variant, variety of sweep
transitive verb swiped, swiping
- to hit with a hard, sweeping blow
- to wipe with a sweeping motion
- ☆ Slang to steal; pilfer
- to pass (a credit card or other magnetically encoded card) across or through an electronic device that reads it
Origin: < ? ON svipa, to whip, make a swift motion, akin to swoop
to make a sweeping blow, stroke, or motion