- The definition of a swirl is a twist, curl or whirl motion.
An example of a swirl is the shape of soft ice cream in a cone.
- Swirl is defined as to move or cause to move in twisting or spinning motions.
An example of swirl is for a girl to twirl her hair around her finger.
- to move with a twisting, whirling motion; eddy
- to swim, or be dizzy, as the head
Origin: Middle English (Scot) swyrl, probably from Norwegian dialect, dialectal svirla, frequentative of sverra, to whirl: for Indo-European base see swarm
- a swirling motion; whirl; eddy
- something having a twisting, curving form; twist; curl; whirl; whorl
- dizzy confusion
- swirlingly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb swirled, swirl·ing, swirls verb, intransitive
- To move with a twisting or whirling motion; eddy.
- To be dizzy or disoriented.
- To be arranged in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- To cause to move with a twisting or whirling motion. See Synonyms at turn.
- To form into or arrange in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- A whirling or eddying motion or mass: a swirl of white water.
- Something, such as a curl of hair, that coils, twists, or whirls.
- Whirling confusion or disorder: “high-pressure farce built around the swirl of mistaken identities” (Jay Carr).
Origin: Middle English swyrl, eddy, probably of Low German or Scandinavian origin.
- swirlˈy adjective