Crabs scurry across a beach.
When a mouse scampers and moves quickly along the floor, this is an example of scurry.
Origin of scurry; from hurry-scurry, reduplicated, reduplication of hurry, probably suggested by scour
- the act or sound of scurrying
- a short run or race
intransitive verbscur·ried, scur·ry·ing, scur·ries
- To go with light running steps; scamper.
- To flurry or swirl about.
- The act of scurrying.
- The noise produced by scurrying.
Origin of scurryProbably short for hurry-scurry.
(third-person singular simple present scurries, present participle scurrying, simple past and past participle scurried)
- To run away with quick light steps, to scamper.