(comparative more specifical, superlative most specifical)
- Synonym of specific.
specific + -al
Variant of specific
- limiting or limited; specifying or specified; precise; definite; explicit: no specific plans
- of or constituting a species
- peculiar to or characteristic of something: specific traits
- of a special, or particular, sort or kind
- specially indicated as a cure for a particular disease: a specific remedy
- produced by a particular microorganism: a specific disease
- Physics designating a certain constant characteristic of a substance or phenomenon measured against some arbitrary, fixed standard of reference or expressed as an amount per unit area, unit volume, etc.
Origin of specificLate Latin specificus ; from Classical Latin species (see species) + -ficus, -fic
- something specially suited for a given use or purpose
- a specific cure or remedy
- a distinct item or detail; particular