- Quote is defined as to reproduce or repeat something written or spoken by someone else.
An example of quote is a student reciting Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech at an MLK Day festival.
quote definition by Webster's New World
- to reproduce or repeat a passage from or statement of: to quote Chaucer
- to reproduce or repeat (a passage from a book, a statement, etc.)
- to refer to as authority or an example; cite
- Commerce to state (a price) or state the price of (something)
- Printing to enclose in quotation marks
Origin: altered (infl. by L) ; from Middle English coten ; from Midieval Latin quotare, to mark the number of, divide into chapters ; from Classical Latin quotus, of what number ; from Indo-European an unverified form kwoti-, how many ; from interrogative base an unverified form kwo- from source who
- quotation mark
- quoter noun
quote definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb quot·ed, quot·ing, quotes verb, transitive
- To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.
- To cite or refer to for illustration or proof.
- To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo.
- To state (a price) for securities, goods, or services.
- Informal A quotation.
- A quotation mark.
- Used by a speaker to indicate the beginning of a quotation.
- A dictum; a saying.
Origin: Middle English coten, to mark a book with numbers or marginal references, from Old French coter, from Medieval Latin quotāre, to number chapters, from Latin quotus, of what number, from quot, how many; see kwo- in Indo-European roots.
- quotˈer noun
quote - Investment & Finance Definition
A firm offer to buy or sell a certain security at a specific time. Quotes are given for the price at which the market maker is willing to buy or sell the security. The quote may be given in the form “$45 to $45.10,” which means that the best bid price is $45 (the highest price that buyer is willing to pay is $45) while the best offer price (the lowest price that a seller will sell for) is $45.10.