Bill's uncouth habit of licking his fingers while eating made him look like a plebeian.
- The definition of a plebeian is a person in the lower class.
An example of a plebeian is a member of the ancient Roman lower class.
- Plebeian is defined as relating to the common people or lacking in manners.
An example of a plebeian act is licking food off of a plate.
- a member of the ancient Roman lower class
- one of the common people
- a vulgar, coarse person
Origin of plebeianfrom Classical Latin plebeius from plebs, plebs
- of or characteristic of the lower class in ancient Rome or of the common people in any country
- vulgar, coarse, or common
- commonplace; ordinary
- Of or relating to the common people of ancient Rome: a plebeian magistrate.
- Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
- Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.
- One of the common people of ancient Rome.
- A member of the lower classes.
- A vulgar or coarse person.
Origin of plebeianFrom Latin plēbius from plēbs plēb- the common people ; see pelə-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more plebeian, superlative most plebeian)
- (one of the plebs): patrician