- The definition of an aristocrat is a person considered to be elite, and in the highest class.
An example of an aristocrat is the Frenchman Marquis de Sade.
A home of the aristocracy in England.
- a member of the aristocracy; nobleman
- a person with the tastes, manners, beliefs, etc. of the upper class
- a person who believes in aristocracy as a form of government
Origin of aristocratFrench aristocrate: term popularized during French Revolution
- A member of a ruling class or of the nobility.
- A person having the tastes, manners, or other characteristics of the aristocracy: a natural aristocrat who insists on the best accommodations.
- A person who advocates government by an aristocracy.
- One considered the best of its kind: the aristocrat of cars.
Origin of aristocratFrench aristocrate, from aristocratie, aristocracy, from Old French, from Late Latin aristocratia; see aristocracy.
- a·ris′to·crat′ic, a·ris′to·crat′i·cal
From French aristocrate (a word from the French Revolution), from aristocratie., from ἄριστος (aristos, “best”) (compare Old English ar) + κράτος (kratos, “rule”).