- The definition of an aristocrat is a person considered to be elite, and in the highest class.
An example of an aristocrat is the Frenchman Marquis de Sade.
A home of the aristocracy in England.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a member of the aristocracy; nobleman
- a person with the tastes, manners, beliefs, etc. of the upper class
- a person who believes in aristocracy as a form of government
Origin: French aristocrate: term popularized during French Revolution
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A member of a ruling class or of the nobility.
- A person having the tastes, manners, or other characteristics of the aristocracy: a natural aristocrat who insists on the best accommodations.
- A person who advocates government by an aristocracy.
- One considered the best of its kind: the aristocrat of cars.
Origin: French aristocrate, from aristocratie, aristocracy, from Old French, from Late Latin aristocratia; see aristocracy.
- a·risˌto·cratˈic, a·risˌto·cratˈi·cal adjective
- a·risˌto·cratˈi·cal·ly adverb