- An example of pending is a promotion you are about to get.
- An example of pending is a court case where you are waiting on a decision from the judge.
The definition of pending is something that is about to happen or something that cannot occur until a decision is made or some other resolution is achieved.
- not decided or determined: a pending lawsuit
- being processed but not yet final: patent pending
- about to happen; impending
Origin of pendingpresent participle of pend, influenced, influence by French pendant, Classical Latin pendens
- Now Rare throughout the course of; during
- while awaiting; until: pending his arrival
- Not yet decided or settled; awaiting conclusion or confirmation.
- Impending; imminent.
- While in the process of; during.
- While awaiting; until.
Origin of pendingFrench pendant, pendant, pending (from Old French; see pendant1) + –ing1.
- Present participle of pend.
(comparative more pending, superlative most pending)